Re: [OM] FEAR of Cleaning - What's the solution?

Subject: Re: [OM] FEAR of Cleaning - What's the solution?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 22:21:51 -0500
At 06:01 PM 6/26/1998 -0700, Hank followed up on his original post:
>Well, Joel et al,
>I wasn't going go into all the detail but since you asked...
>The man said that had three microfiber cloths that he kept separately.
>One for lenses exclusively.
>A second for use with film emulsions
>and a third was used in combination with a film emulsion cleaning product
>called PEC-12 (for film emulsions only!)

Hank,

Thanks for the explanation. The reason I asked is that I now scan negs and
slides. There is far less forgiveness of dirt and scratches than in a
conventional darkroom, but I've hesitated to try any method other than
canned for cleaning them. For my purposes negative film is really better
than slides, but the labs handle it so carelessly. Even Kodak, which sends
the negs back with a plastic film on both sides, can't be trusted. In fact,
I'm almost just as well off going to Walmart and having the negs all flung
like hash in the side pocket. Similarly, my slides come back from Fuji
almost always with a fine layer of grit on them. Some of this can be
blasted off with canned air, but a lot remains and I have to spend too much
time spotting the black dots in Photoshop.

It will be worth it for me at least to try cleaning off what can be cleaned
off safely. I'm really grateful to you and others who have shared their
experiences with these cleaning aids.

Joel