Re: [OM] Om3Ti - value?

Subject: Re: [OM] Om3Ti - value?
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 20:08:24 +0100
In article , David Brown <keswick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>Frank wrote:
>
>> A brand new OM-3Ti costs DM 2498,- (that's about $1400) at a German
>> post-order company: http://www.wfv.de
>> I guess you could sell it at 700f that price (but not to me :-).
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Frank Wijsmuller.
>
>Frank - this seems a good price (I am buying, not selling, BTW). Are there
>any taxes to be added to this, or does this price include the dreaded VAT?

David,
        VAT cannot be legally added to any second-hand sale.  If you buy
used equipment from a dealer you should get a receipt from them which
specifically states that they have not claimed, and do not intend to
claim, VAT on the item.  If they charge VAT on used items it is probably
fraudulent since they have no intention of paying it and the Inland
Revenue would certainly not claim it.

In essence this should make all used items at least 17.5heaper than
new items in the UK, and the appropriate percentage lower in other EU
countries.  On cameras and photo goods I have noticed that this holds
pretty true - items returned to dealers after only a few weeks use are
sold in mint condition at least 20% below retail.

I was just about to post this article when I had a sense of deja-vu on
your original question about the going rate for an OM-3Ti.  Don't ask me
why it jumped into my mind, I don't know either, but you remember this :