Re: [OM] Longwinded gear question

Subject: Re: [OM] Longwinded gear question
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 15:49:45 -0400
>>    *another body, because I always seem to have fast B&W when I need
slow tranny film and vice versa! Also I think I really more metering options
than my wee OM10 provides.>>

Since you want more metering options, a 1n or 2n is no improvement. The
OM3/4/4T bodies have a spot metering system that is barely equalled even by
the latest wunderplastics. If you get a 4 series, you will relegate the 10
to backup duties pretty quickly. The OM4 (as opposed to the 4t, which has
titanium top and bottom covers) is reasonably priced. Just be careful as
some have excessive battery drain. But the 4 will give you all the metering
options of the 4t.

The 2s has spot metering, but only in manual mode. It also has a 'program'
auto mode. Some like it, I wouldn't include myself among them.

>>*or perhaps a macro to stop me using those terrible suppl. lenses?>>

Macro is Oly's strongest suit. The 50/2 and 90/2 are legendary lenses;
second to none. However they are quite expensive. You might want to obtain
a 50 3.5, which is much less expensive. You can also use them with
extension tubes to get closer.

>>*a bigger zoom, something along the lines of a 300?>>

Zooms I don't use often; good ones are not cheap, and cheap ones are not good.

Zuiko offers an 85-250. It is not common and not cheap. Of course there are
100-300 aftermarket zooms. Or you could save for a 300 Zuiko.

Good shooting!

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com