Re: [OM] Code on Zuiko lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Code on Zuiko lens
From: Soenke Jansen <SoJa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 23:56:21 +0200
Michael O'Carrigan wrote:

> On two of my Zuiko lens there is an E.Zuiko and F.Zuiko while all the other
> Zuiko lens just have the word Zuiko with no prefix.
> Does any one know the reason for this?

Hi Michael,
in the older versions of their lenses Olympus used to prefix 'Zuiko'
with a letter, designating the number of (glass it was then) elements in
the lens. So, an E.Zuiko would have 5 Elements (wich might be arranged
in any number of groups, <5 that is) and E.Zuiko has 6. This habit was
apparently dropped somewhen in the mid-80ies.
But there is another, possibly more important, information that can be
gained from the lettering: collective, though conventional, list-wisdom
has it that those lenses with a letter preceding 'Zuiko' fall into the
non-multicoated category, while the 'unlettered' ones should be,
sporting a much revered green hue as well (at least in some cases).

Hope this helps,
Soenke, Hamburg