[OM] Experiences with the Zuiko 180/f2.8 lens

Subject: [OM] Experiences with the Zuiko 180/f2.8 lens
From: vonstahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 19:31:08 +0100
Discussions here recently have indicated that the Zuiko 180/f2.8 lens may
behave less well regarding the blue colours. My experiences are that this
lens mostly gives very good pictures but when shooting subjects of specific
outlook this less good behaviour regarding the blue colours is clearly evident.

For instance, I shot a picture of a fellow smoking on his cigarette in
bright sunshine and as the colour of the cigarette was bright white and the
background of the cigarette was very much darker, bluish shadows showed up
at the intersection between the bright white and the darker background. When
I have used this particular lens later I have seen these bluish shadows many
times at parts of the pictures where there have been high contrast. Very
annoying indeed.

Another example - I shot a picture of a choir where one of the singers had a
necklace of a silver-coloured, highly irregular and very glittery material
(of the same kind that some folks use to use on the Christmas trees in
Sweden). One would think that at the parts of the necklace where the light
from the flash had been reflected the colours should have been white and
where the flash had not been reflected the parts should have been black.
However, by using this particular lens the result was that the whole
necklace had a very bluish hue due to the high amount of black/white
intersections which the flash light had acheived.

I may add that my particular example of this lens is almost mint and to my
best knowledge it has not been dropped or mistreated. All this makes me
think that the problems with the Zuiko 180/f2.8 regarding the bluish parts
of the light is not an isolated phenomenon. I think that not only mine but
several other, if not all, examples of this lens suffers of this problem.

Boris von Stahl
Stockholm, Sweden