Re: [OM] Books with Pictures Shooting with OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Books with Pictures Shooting with OM
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 18:43:59 -0700

><< I remember seeing, several years ago, an article with many photos of
> flowers about Allen Rokach. What amazed me then was that some of the macro
> lens credits were either incorrect or for lenses not yet on the market. In
> particular I remember 2 photos that were described as being taken by an
> Olympus 200mm macro lens that, I suppose, never made it to market.
>
> Did you note whether any of the lenses used were ones that have been
> unavailable to the market?
>  >>
>Hello Winsor,
>
>I have several of these books by Rokach and I would attribute anything that
>looks like unusual lens credits to simple mistakes on his or his co-author's
>(Anne Millman) part.  The books are littered with technical errors (such as
>shooting the 50-250 at f4) and even geographical ( the worst mentioning
>Yosemite National Park in Wyoming!) errors.   Further, several photos are not
>even properly focussed.
>
>My evaluation of Rokach (supplanted by some friends who have taken his
>workshops) is that he is an excellent photographer but not the most
>disciplined in terms of technique or editing.
>
>Just my $.02.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Greg Logiodice
>Nyack, NY

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing that. It was worth more than two cents.

I think it was that article that gave me permission to get my OM4T since it
looked like Oly was continuing to develop their lens line and the pictures
were very nice in magazine reproduction. Even though that particular macro
development did not materialize or perhaps was not even real, I have
enjoyed my camera anyway. How could you have regrets over owning such a
wonderful camera.

Since the opportunity presents itself, Greg, I would like to say that I
think your pictures on the Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery are
absolutely stunning and allow you to talk about excellence in photography
and disciplined technique with some authority. I have gone back to look at
your images several times; I really like them.

Since I am fond of the 24mm/F2.8 lens and with all the discussion about its
supposed terrible flare problem, I enjoyed, in addition to the beauty of
the pictures, seeing your examples with direct sun in the frame and no
horrible flare problems.

Several of your photos were taken according to your notes with the 50-250
and looked great in the gallery. You evidently like that lens. Do the
images also hold up well to enlargement? Do you think it is the best of the
long zooms made by Oly or do you like it primarily for the usefulness of
the focal range?

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California