Re: [OM] Zuiko Zoom 2,8 / 35-80mm or two lenses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Zoom 2,8 / 35-80mm or two lenses?
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 10:04:12 -0400
Carsten Esch <carsten.esch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> enquired on behalf of a
friend:

>a friend asked if he should go for the Zuiko Zoom 2,8 / 35-80mm or
>instead buy a 2.0/35 (or even 2.0/28) and a 2.0/85. This together with a
>OM4Ti would make his start with OLYMPUS equipment....
>Any suggestions?

Unless money is no object, I think it would be better for your friend to get
either an small assortment of fixed-length lenses or one of the other Oly
short zooms, the 35-70 comes to mind.  I would also temper that list with
the f/2.8 versions of the 35mm or 28mm.  The 85mm is an outstanding choice
in everyone's bag.  Consider also a good 50mm, f/1.8 or even f/1.4.  My
reasoning is that he is just getting started.  When (if) he decides
photography is something he really wants to pursue, then part with the $1200
for the 35-80.  Until then, spend a fraction of that on a good tripod and
cable release, tons of film and processing services, and learn the craft.

In 20/20 hindsight, I am thankful I learned on an old Pentax Spotmatic.  All
manual, match needle metering, screw mount 50mm lens.  One learned to
photograph, not simply take pictures.  Not having auto-exposure and zooms
forces you to think more about what the meter is telling you so you can make
sound judgements about exposure and move a lot more to get the angle and
composition you want.  I grumbled then because I lusted for an OM-2.  I sold
the trusty Spotmatic to fund the OM-2, but it wasn't long after I got the
OM-1 just to get back what I had with the Spotmatic (with a few key
improvements, of course <g>).

Just my 2 cents.

John P