Re: [OM] OM4Ti meter

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti meter
From: Brice1021@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 14:36:54 EDT
george wrote:
>As for the meter, I think I'm repeating a post here, but the reading you get
in auto when you press the memo button is approximate, correct?  The actual
shutter speed is determined during exposure.<

AFAIK when you use memo with a center weighted reading, the value of the
exposure is stored *after* you take the first exposure.  This is because the
camera uses the OTF circuit to determine the exposure.  After the first
exposure is taken, the EV is stored in memory.  You can test this for
yourself.  Use a low light subject so you can tell the difference between
shutter speeds.  First, using an unloaded OM-4(Ti), take a center-weighed
reading and set the Memory lever.  In my test I get an indicated speed of 1/2
second but when the shutter button is pressed the actual speed is more like 4
seconds.   Secondly, load the camera with film and repeat the procedure.  This
time the indicated and actual shutter speeds are the same so the camera must
be using OTF metering.  At least that's what my ears are telling me. <g>

Things are different when you use a spot reading with the memo mode.  The spot
value is stored in memory before exposure.

Bill Rice
Illinois, USA