Re: [OM] Olympus camera on a microscope?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus camera on a microscope?
From: Bruce Miller <bfmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 14:23:34 -0700
Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:

> I was just curious what Olympus has been up to in their business of
> microscopy.  Probably I thought of this because I uploaded a graphic file on
> the OM Photo-micro Group.  They look dated to me.
>
> I have looked at several pages, but this page has a picture of a camera
> being attached to the microscope IX70/50.
>
> http://www.olympus.co.jp/LineUp/Microscope/ix70_50.html
>
> Does anyone identify this camera?
>
> On these Japanese pages there is a mention of a digital camera made for one
> of the microscope systems.
>
> The keyword on these pages is automation.  The manual OM system cameras
> won't fit into this picture.  Thus the OM market is limited to photographers
> unless Olympus can come up with a modular camera, which can adapt to more
> than one Olympus markets.   I think this modular camera needs to accept a
> digital back.
>
> As it has become relatively easy to make a dye-sub print at home or a small
> office, people would start looking for a digital camera to take snap shots
> with.

In a microscope setup such as the one depicted in the Olympus literature
one doesn't need a "35mm camera" as we know it.  One just hooks up a
"digital camera" which is just a housing with a CCD at the plane of
focus.  The microcopist uses the microcope optics to find the desired
image to record, checks the lighting and contrast on a computer monitor,
and records the image on some sort of digital medium.  The camera setup
shown in the picture is clearly set up for film.

On the subject of photomicroscopy, 30 years ago I worked in a microscopy
laboratory for a large food company.  We used cases and cases of 4X5
Polaroid film each month.  I recently heard that the people running this
lab are now using digital imaging techniques exclusively.  The
microscopists are unhappy about this, but their upper management won't
let them spend a penny on film even though the quality is better.  A
cheap but marginal image is good enough for this huge corporation.

Bruce Miller