[OM] Zooms vs. primes

Subject: [OM] Zooms vs. primes
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 20:30:05 -0700
<snip>
Joel said:

As far as the choice between the faster and slower primes, the somewhat
slower wide-angle primes are a terrific value. One pays dearly for one stop
of speed in a lens and most of us, after lugging a tripod to the vantage
point, would not as a matter of principle use that stop very often anyway.
====
How very true. Although I love my 85/2 for its bright viewfinder image, I can
rarely use that extra stop in low light since I can't be confident of sharp
focus,
and DOF is miniscule at f/2. Over half of my last 10 rolls have been tripod
shots
where I'd trade the fast speed for another stop (or two) at the other end, for
increased DOF in scenic shots.