Re: [OM] american trip

Subject: Re: [OM] american trip
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 07:43:25 -0700
Marc;

That's a lot to see and drive in 15 days.  Every year I do a similar trip,
starting from San Jose, driving out past Vegas to 4 corners area and then back.
I have 14 days to do this and it's never enuf.  I would try to strip off some of
the less promising destinations, EG:
    * Death Valley.  Yes, it's legendary, but it got it's name from the heat
this time of year. At least 110 F.
    * Lake Havasu.  Come on, you've probably already seen the London Bridge. <g>

    * Sequioa/Kings Canyon.  These are great parks, but the photo ops are not as
outstanding as in Yosemite.  Plus, You'd have to access them from the West side
of the Sierras, where you could get to Yosemite from the East side, and do a
stop at Mono Lake on the way - Mono is highly recommended. Of course, if you
drive this route, you'll pass thru Death Valley ... Just keep the windows up and
the AC on!
    * Joshua tree. Seen one ... If you happen to be there at sunset, check it
out, else, roll on.

Good stuff:
    * Vegas is always good for nite photos.  If camping there, try Valley of
Fire. Good photos there.
    * Lake Powell: It's pretty all right. I've been trying to find a place to
get a great sunset shot of this place for about 6 years.  While there, I'd try
to find time to visit the slot canyons.  The photos are ubiquitous now, but
still worth having some of your own.  Bring $$$ for the Navajos.
    * While at Bryce, I'd try to spend a couple days at Zion if you have the
time.  Walk the Narrows.
    * LA, SF? You'll find something of interest I'm sure.  Don't get too brave
and try to drive hiway 1 between 'em.  It'll take forever.
    * Yosemite- always refreshingly beautiful.  Although I must be honest and
say that August is probably the worst time of year to visit it (SORRY).  The
crowds are horrendous and the valley waterfalls have run dry.  Maybe spend extra
time in Tuolomne Meadows (you'll pass thru it between Mono Lake and Yos Valley)
Less people, more water. A great hike out of there ( several hours and some
strenuousity) is towards Glen Aulin horse camp.  There are some interesting
(small) waterfalls and great views of Cathedral Peak etc.

Hope this helps a bit. Have a great trip.

george