Re: [OM] Zuiko Zoom 2,8 / 35-80mm or two lenses?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko Zoom 2,8 / 35-80mm or two lenses?
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 05:19:48 -0400
>Your friend's does not exactly seem like a "starter kit," so I'm going
>to assume that you are really asking "Since the zoom and the primes
>mentioned are about equally fast, which is intrinsically better?"  The
>penny-in-the-slot consensus is that the convenience and versatility of
>zooms is paid for in a loss of speed and resolution in most cases. (No
>loss of speed however in this case. Perhaps no loss of resolution.)

Yes, and don't forget the extra distortion that zooms, especially zooms
that cover the wide angle range,  suffer from. Even this great Zuiko is
not free from it. If this friend is going to do architecture or repro
work, he needs prime lenses (not necessarily the two mentioned). And
then there is also the matter of minimum focusing distance, which is
0.6 m. for the zoom. Quite nice for 80 mm, but not for 35 mm. The
35/2.0 Zuiko focuses at 0.3 meters, allowing dramatic perspective
effects, showing that the 35 indeed is a wide angle and not a short
standard lens, as some seem to believe.
The zoom would be the first choice for fast action covering work where
lens changes are annoying and the high speed is a must.

Hans