Re: [OM] Which Lens(es)?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which Lens(es)?
From: VELUWEH@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 05:57:58 -0400
>I have an OM-4Ti that I bought nine years ago. I have been happy with
my
>Tokina zoom until recently. Two months ago I picked up a photography
>magazine and was SHOCKED to learn that Olympus had abandoned the
>advanced SLR market. I just ordered a new Zuiko 35-105 zoom which
should
>just about do for all the situations I encounter. My question is, which
>lenses should I buy before the market goes through the roof? I take
>nature shots and wind up being asked to do a lot of wedding shots.
>I have a Zuiko 28, Vivitar Series 1 70-210, and a Tokina 35-200. I have
>heard a lot about (in recent days) of the Zuiko 100 f2.0 and the Zuiko
>28-48... Frankly I deal with a crowd that always thinks that I take
very
>good photographs though the shots almost never seem to be up to my
>standards in sharpness or color.
>I just came back from vacation (http://www.stepone.com/tahoe/index.html
)
>and wished that I had taken more than my 28mm. But I knew that my
Tokina
>would be less sharp and my Vivitar would bring the mountains too close.
>Where can I get new lenses? Is everything sold used nowadays?
>Hell, I don't even own a 50mm... Give me a shopping list.

Relax; Olympus hasn't abandoned the "advanced SLR market", unless you
only consider AF cameras to be advanced. There are still three bodies
available new (the OM-4Ti, OM-3Ti and OM-2000, although the latter
isn't a real Olympus), and almost all prime lenses are still available
brand new. All existing zooms have been discontinued, including the
35-105, but three zooms have been added, the 35-80/2.8 being most
interesting if it weren't so expensive. Where to buy/order new Zuikos?
How about a good photo equipment shop? Any shop that tries to make you
believe the entire OM system is discontinued, is to be avoided. They
probably want to sell a plastic AF to you.
The 35-105 isn't very rare, so you should be able to find it used. Fine
lens, good performer, can cover maybe 800f all shots. Next on the
shopping list I would probably put a fast 50 mm (1.4 or 1.2), and then
maybe a 200/F4 or 180/2.8, followed by the 300/4.5?

Hans