Re: [OM] RE: 6 volt Power Packs

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: 6 volt Power Packs
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 10:06:15 GMT
On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 18:03:14 +1000, "Terry and Tracey"
<foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>Well, while he's at it, one of the oddities I noticed in making my 6V Power
>>Pack is the polarity on the plug is backwards from what I'm used to.  By
>>this I mean all the other connectors I have are (+) on the internal part of
>>the plug and (-) on the outside.  The Oly's polarity was exactly opposite,
>>(-) on the inside and (+) on the outside.  Frank, does this agree with your
>>experiences?
>

>We have a wide range of equipment with those plugs at work. About 600n
>outside. Manufacturers never had a standard on this one. That's the beaut
>thing about standards. They're so many of them.....

Two seems to be the limit here...

>Foxy

For the modeling lights the polarity is of no importance (they work
equally well on the AC of a small 5 volt transformer) - but for the
winder motor the polarity does matter (outside must be positive and
central pin or hole negative) - so be careful there.

I use many kinds of equipment and adapters and to exclude mistakes I
color code them. If the plug on the end is yellow (or has some yellow
tape applied) then the central pin is positive, if it is blue, then
the outside is positive.

And for the many adapter cords I use: if the polarity of both plugs is
the same then I code both ends yellow, if it is reversed then I put
some yellow tape on one end of the cord and some blue on the other.

The big trick is a matter of counting: for the circuit to be OK it is
necessary that the number of tags of each color be even. If any of
them is odd, danger ahead!

Frank.