Re: [OM] 6 volt for modeling lights: caveat!

Subject: Re: [OM] 6 volt for modeling lights: caveat!
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 19:20:32 GMT
On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 10:26:59 EDT, ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx wrote:

>In a message dated 7/6/98 12:30:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time, lindertv@xxxxxxx
>writes:
>
><< BTW, the first real white LEDS (color temperature 8000K) have come on
> the market. Rather expensive yet, but in the near future suited for
> the perfect modeling lights, I guess. Maybe you can even use them for
> shooting, once they get powerful enough....
> Frank van Lindert. >>
>
>Hi Frank,
>Would it be possible to make a cable to connect from a Winder 2 (bottom plug-
>in) to the lamps?  I realize this would be a lot of drain on the AA's.  But I
>don't have room in my camera bag to always carry the big 6 volt pack.  I think
>a little 8 inch cable would be handy for short time use.
>BW

Hello .... Buddy (if my ageing memory is still serving me OK).

I tried something like that: connected the modeling lights to the 4 AA
cells in the T-Power control unit. But it was too much drain indeed,
and I think it will be for the winder too.

Of course it must be possible to use the winder batteries as a power
source for the modeling lights, although you will have to modify the
internal wiring to the jacket in the bottom of the winder. Normally,
when plugging an external power source in, at the same time the
internal power is cut off. You will want the opposite: have the
internal power connected thru to an outside cable. This can be wired -
but after that you can no longer connect an external source to the
winder (unless using diodes) .... difficult choice, I guess.

But there is another solution: if the big Power Pack 2 is too much to
carry, why not use a 6 volt Power Pack 1, consisting of 4 AA batteries
with the same plug on the cable end? This small item will almost
always find a place in your bag....

Of course the limitations resuting from the 4 AA cells will be the
same (the power pack 1 is meant for using with the winder), but it
saves you a difficult choice and the electronic modification.

If you cannot find an original Power Pack 1, you can make one from any
holder for 4 AA cells, a length of cable, and the plug that fits
winder and flash. And if you think slightly bigger: 4 C-cells or a 6
volt camcorder battery - generally any 6 volt power source will do
perfectly well here. Think of the polarity - if you want to use it for
the winder too..

Good luck,

Frank.