[OM] Shade-y business/was rubber shades

Subject: [OM] Shade-y business/was rubber shades
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 00:49:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 rockwell@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Any advice on which brand (or off-brand)/model of rubber shade works
> well? Nikon makes a wonderful rubber shade (52mm thread) for the 50f1.4
> that double-folds back over the lens & then accepts the lens cap. I'd
> like to have one like that in 49mm thread for my Oly 50f1.4 and 100f2.8.

  For my 100/2.8, I use an OM rubber shade that I believe was originally
designed for this lens. It is not collapsible, but works beautifully.
It also works well with the 50/1.8 w/o vignetting. I liked it so much I
bought two. For the wides, I bought Hoya (they might be Tiffen)
"universal" shades, and cut them off at the shoulder of the flared out
part (so they look like w.a. shades, only in rubber) and they work well on
my 24/2.8's and 28's. I also have the metal OM shades, and admit to having
used a 49-52 adapter and the very N*k*n shade you mentioned. By doing a
little detective work, you can cross-shade very well between brands.

                          *Warning*
       ALWAYS check carefully for vignetting BEFORE exposing the first
frame when using a shade that is not OEM on a given lens. How I do it:
Put the shade on top of the normal type filter you will use on that lens.
Set f/stop to the minimum. Focus @ 20' on a bright wall in bright
daylight. Depress depth of field lever and you will be able to see any
vignetting in the corners. Any that is visible to the eye will be much
more pronounced on film. Now, go to the closest focusing range with your
lens and repeat procedure. If a zoom lens, try this with the widest and
longest settings, and in the "macro" mode. Even after all this, I shoot a
few frames on a white wall and check before using the combination.
Murphy's Photo-Law: Anything that can go wrong will always go wrong when
the shot of a lifetime is at hand. Don't go there. I even test OEM shades,
to be honest, because sometimes they will vignette with a filter in place.

It pays to go into your camera store and ask to see "The Olympus Box". You
might be surprised at what you will find. Check other brands. When I
bought my Series I 70-210, I didn't like the OEM shade. A little sleuthing
in the camera store yielded a 62mm Nikon shade to fit a 70-210 zoom. Works
like a champ (and on that lens, it is critical. On some lenses, like the
35/2.8, 50/3.5 that have recessed front elements, they act as if the cone
caused by the inset into the lens barrel is a shade in itself, though
you lose that effect if you add a filter, of course).

                                        *= Doris Fang =*