Re: [OM] White LED's

Subject: Re: [OM] White LED's
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 07:30:44 GMT
Cc: JNVS44B@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue,  7 Jul 1998 00:07:28, -0500, JNVS44B@xxxxxxxxxxx (MR THOMAS N
CURLEE) wrote:

>Frank:
>
>I agree about the relative unknown voltage drop across the diode.  I
>assumed that the actual voltage wasn't important, just that you
>needed to drop a little over one volt.  If you were using the
>modeling lights for actually exposing the film the voltage would need
>to be regulated very closely to maintain color temperature.
>
>Here's a thought.  Using these white light LEDs you could vary the
>light output by varying the current but would have the same color
>temperature (mostly, it might vary slightly).  If they get cheap
>enough you could use an array of them for a modeling light and then
>pulse the same array at a much higher current for the actual exposure.
>  A 'solid state strobe'.  You could even make a 'strobe' with a FP
>mode.  You heard about it first here, folks.
>
>How much do the white LEDs cost now and what is the mcd output?
>
>Tom

Hi Tom.

One of my sources is at http://www1a.mesh.ne.jp/nichia/wled-e.htm
It says 600 mCd at 20 mA and 3.6 V, color temp 6500 K.

Another is a German shop. Their LEDS are at
http://www.sander-electronic.de/opt1.htm#SHRW
$ 10 a piece, up to 3000 mCd strong, 6500-8000 K
(All SHRW are white LEDS, I think)

Let me know when yo finish your prototype! ;-)

Frank.