Re: [OM] Lens Filters?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Filters?
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 23:24:45 +0200
Brian E. Robinson wrote:

> What is the general consensus on using lens filters? On some of my
> lenses I have clear glass B+H filters and some are exposed lenses. Is it
> best to use a lens filter to protect the main lens or does the added
> glass of the filter detract from the quality of the photo?

They do degrade optical quality of the lenses, but so do dust and other
polution on the lens.
The amount of degradation corelates normaly with the price of the
filter. :-(
I wonder sometimes how much dirt is colected only by storing the lens
for a time on a shelf.
I use UV filters to protect my lenses, because I fear more to scratch
the lenses by cleaning them, than the negative effects they have on
picture quality. I couldn´t recognize any adverse effect of good
filters.
To change a scratched filter is cheaper and more easy than to change a
lens front element.
In my personal opinon B+W and Heliopan have the best multi coating, but
Heliopan has the best frame quality, brass which screws in very smooth.

My 2 cents

Richard