Re: [OM] Lens Filters?

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Filters?
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 23:09:52 -0400
>>I know many people advocate a skylight filter for protection
>>purposes but I can notice the slight warming effect such filters
>>have so only use one when I want warming.
>[snip]
>
>Giles makes a good point, which is particularly valid for folks
>who use aftermarket lenses.  For better or worse, many of the
>more upscale aftermarket lenses (e.g. Vivitar Series 1, Tamron SP,
>Sigma APO and Greek-letter zooms, and, to a lesser degree --
>Tokina AT-X) were made to match the somewhat cooler color balance
>of Nikk*r lenses.
>
>I find that adding a SKY filter to many of the above lenses may
>shift the colors closer to the Zuikos.  My only other rule is
>that the filter should never cost more than the lens it's supposed
>to protect (Yeah, I know -- common sense is not the most common
>of commodities. :-))
>
>This rule pretty much precludes almost any purchase of otherwise
>terrific B+W, Heliopan, Contax, or Rollei filters.  Among OEM
>manufacturers, I highly recommend Min*lta filters. They are MC,
>very thin, very reasonably priced, and come in std. OLY sizes
>of 49 and 55mm.  An OLY purist may want to paint over the alien
>brand name with a bit of plack paint. :-)

I have been staying out of this, but I have to say that I find skylite
filters extremely noticeable and extremly unpleasant; with Zuiko, Zeiss, or
Leica glass. (The best there is, right :-))

Unlike Gary, I must also add that I use only B&W or Heliopan; nothing less
is worth risking on any of the above! And that's UV, of course...

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com