Re: [OM] Refrigerate Film?

Subject: Re: [OM] Refrigerate Film?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 20:54:06 -0700
>It depends.  Normal "amateur" flims get no special consideration.  If the
>manufacturer designates it as a "Pro" film, I generally buy a brick at a
>time.  15 of them hit the freezer, and 5 in the fridge.  Even on a fast day
>I can't shoot 5 rolls in less time than it takes for a frozen one to thaw.
>I also freeze my color printing papers.  Its economical to get 100 sheet
>boxes, and the large batches reduce the variability a little bit, but it
>take me a while to print 100 sheets.  Freezing in between printing sessions
>greatly extends the life of the paper.
>
>John P

Back in the days when Kodak issued new Kodachromes that had a decidedly
green color balance, their advise to their "customers" was to hold the film
for six months until it achieved proper color balance.(Somehow they thought
it was a service to their customers to provide the new film before it
capable of taking a decent picture) With their caveats in other places that
they could not guarantee the color balance of film that reached 90 degrees
Fahrenheit I assumed they must have meant the aging must be done in a
refrigerated environment. Never knew what temperature they recommended. I
did not try to find out since they had already lost 2 rolls of my film in
their processing plant and mixed in several pictures of naked boys into
another set of slides I had really lost interest in Kodak anyway.

Anyway all this leads up to the question as to whether you have ever
noticed a color difference resulting from the two methods of storage. Or
have you never stored the film long enough for it age appreciably?

Winsor

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx