Re: [OM] OM-1 Batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 Batteries
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:36:18 -0800
Greg Heier wrote:

>Has anyone used the Zinc-Air 1.35 volt PX 625 replacements? Seems like they
>should work, apparently they're intended for replacement of the mercury
>batteries in devices that were dependant on the voltage being exact. This
>would seem to be a much less expensive alternative than adapting the camera
>to take 625s.

Zinc-air batteries are rated at 1.4v, and have several drawbacks:

(a) there's a delay of 30 minutes from the time a zinc-oxide battery
    is unsealed and untill it's ready for use;

(b) once unsealed, zinc-oxides last only 4-6 months (they dissipate
    even when the camera's off);

(c) Px625 replacement zinc-oxides are expensive, typically $4-6 a pop
    (PX675 and PX400 replacements are far cheaper, as they're nearly
    identical in form factor to the 4-packs sold for hearing aids).

Whenever possible, I still advocate the use of the original PX625
mercury batteries. They last 1-2 years or more, have excellent shelf
life, and cost about US$5 apiece (in the US!).

Admittedly, their availability in North America is somewhat limited,
but AFAIK the supply still matches or exceeds demand. If anyone has
difficulties finding fresh, sealed PX625 mercury cells, pls feel free
to contact me off the list.  I still have plenty of them.

Of course, if your OM-1/1N is due for a repair or CLA, it makes a lot
of sense to use the opportunity to convert it to an alternative power
source.  Photosphere of Dallas, TX performs OLY-authorized (designed?)
alkaline conversions for $16 as part of a CLA.  John H. from Camtech
has an even better deal for our list members -- $5 for a conversion
to silver-oxides, also as part of a CLA.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx