Re: [OM] Snakes

Subject: Re: [OM] Snakes
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Jul 1998 09:38:24 +1000
Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and
spake thusly:

> Hi, Robert.. leave it to an Australian to have a love affair with snakes!!
> Actually, my mind's eye picture of the quintissential Australian  is a
> photo I took many years ago [OM of course!] of Geof Stocker, who worked for
> CSIRO I believe, on his farm in the Atherton (sp?) highlands.  He

Spot on, although it's a "tableland" on the maps.  Stupid name, IMHO...

(I'm touring there next summer, hope it's a better trip than my rained
out "OM-1 never left the car" trip to Lamington (did get a snake pic
with my C#### though)).

> We first noticed it with frogs and other amphibians.  Working in Costa Rica
> I can remember having trouble walking without stepping on their "golden
> frogs" in Monteverde.  In just 3 years they completely disappeared!
> With

Many frog species are in serious trouble here.   Some friends of mine
breed up frogs in their (suburban) back-yard, and release them.

Their neighbours have been known to hurl large (>30cm) rocks over the
fence when particularly annoyed by the mating calls...

Such intolerance doesn't bode well for the spotted marshy...

cjb.

--
|Christopher Biggs -- chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - PGP mail preferred. MIME OK.|
|Stallion Technologies, Brisbane, Australia.    <http://www.stallion.com>|