Re: [OM] more on snakes etc (minimal OM content)

Subject: Re: [OM] more on snakes etc (minimal OM content)
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 09:44:13 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: RobertA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Kerry Dressler wrote:

> As photographers, documentors of our times we are much more aware of
> changes, don't you think?

  I think this is true no matter what one tends to photograph.

> (Oh, and my shorts are baggy and long!! and, I do wear
> >boots when photographing reptiles!!)
> Now That's a disappointment!

  Kerry, your stories are simply fascinating to read, and more than a
little educational. They also project a wonderful passion for the
wild things. Legends are in the beholder's eyes. Mine glitter when
I read about your adventures...

>  Some say flashes cause damage to exhibits.. and I've
> heard that about flashes inside Pyramids in Egypt, but to forbid ALL
> PHOTOGRAPHY?  I'd be interested in any comments you might have.  I get the
> impression from UF that they are jumping on the bandwagon as much to
> preserve their "copyright " to images of their exhibits as much as from
> fear of damage.> Kerry

  This is due to the same business as the concert photos. "Buy the
catalog", is what one is often told (and I am not referring to the museum
you are asking about here, but in general). You hear about damage,
problems with crowds, the expenses, yadda, yadda, yadda. Then one goes to
a superb world-class museum like the Art Institute (Chicago), and they let
you flash Van Goghs, each of which is probably more expensive (notto
mention rarer) than the entire contents of most museums with tight
restrictions. There's nary a problem with crowds, etc.

                                     *= Doris Fang =*