Re:[OM] Freezer Film!

Subject: Re:[OM] Freezer Film!
From: "Bruce Appelbaum" <Bruce_Appelbaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 13:39 -0500
The moisture that collects inside the can is a result of condensation of the
outside ambient air coming in contact with it.  In other words, the moisture you
see forming on the inside of the canister and the surface of the cartridge when
you open a cold canister is a direct result of opening it!

Opening the canister allows ambient air to come in contact with the cold film
and cartridge surfaces, causing condensation.  It is the condensation that forms
on the film surface inside the cartridge that is problematic.

Letting the film warm up in the unopened canister reduces the amount of moisture
that forms.  Keep in mind, with the film in the canister there isn't much room
left over for moisture laden air.

Lee is correct.  You are wrong.  And there are lots of people who warm up the
film in the can.  I've seen this advice in many photo mags over the years, and
in lots of other places.