Re: [OM] Freezer Film!

Subject: Re: [OM] Freezer Film!
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 14:38:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Paul Van Tuyl wrote:

> His educated comment was to leave it in the can to warm
> up. I had never heard of anyone doing this because it keeps the moisture
> in the can with the film! An obvious dumb thing to do.

  Paul, I beg to differ, and so does Kodak.

> However, knowing
> Lee is somewhat informed, I telephoned a number of professional
> photographers that use frozen, outdated film in their work. We sell to a
> bunch of wedding photographers and serious amateurs who buy 50 to 100
> rolls from us at a time.
> It was unanimous, no one leaves the film in the cannister to warm up.
> Most take the film out of the cannister and throw it into their
> equipment bag right away to be ready to shoot as the situation dictates.

   A bunch of people can be wrong, and these are.  They would be best
served by defrosting film (around 3 hrs is right at room temp) ahead
of time, then removing film from the canisters if they want. This is not
IMHO a good practice anyway because dirt & lint accumulate at the bottom
of many bags (unless one vacuums them out), and I have read about people
whose DX coding was disrupted by lint/dirt, causing lost shots. It also
introduces crud into your cameras.

> Most everyone's comment was, does someone actually leave it in the can?
> Next time look inside the cannister and see the moisture that collectsd
> there.Too bad Lee. OLYMPUS Dude.

  First, there's the elementary physics of the situation, Paul. If you
have a sealed container and there's no moisture inside of it at normal
room temp/pressure, why should moisture be CREATED when you defrost it ?
  Second, call Kodak, or RIT. Kodak film is canned under very low humidity
conditions. This is to prevent the emulsions from swelling due to water
in the form of humidity.
  Lee is EXACTLY right. If you open the canister before it is defrosted
(i.e., at room temp) you will load the emulsion with water due to
condensation. It will pull water out of the air, in other words. It cannot
do that inside the can, Paul. Go and open a new film canister (at room
temp/press). Do you see any moisture in it ? Had you not opened it, frozen
it, and waited for it to totally defrost and reopened it, I guarantee you
there would not be any more moisture in it. Lee is right on this one.
Don't take my word or Lee's for it. Pull a brand-new, unopened canister
from the freezer. Let it defrost overnight. Then open it and look inside.
You will see no moisture at all. See for yourself.

                                    Sorry to get in the middle
                                       *= Doris Fang =*