Re: [OM] Batty misses

Subject: Re: [OM] Batty misses
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:09:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Giles wrote:

> Last night I missed a wonderful photo opportunity.
<snipped wonderful account of bat behavior>

  Giles, it would have been good to have had your wife "model" with the
bat zipping around the room, in a shrieking pose (probably not too hard to
elicit).

  I missed the opportunity of a lifetime a decade ago. In the Ocala
National Forest, in pre-dawn darkness, I was with a friend in a pick up
truck on the way to buy baitfish (shiners) before going fishing. It was a
Park road, two-lanes and absolutely dark, when we spotted what seemed to
be a deer's eye in the headlights and slowed down. Incredible as this
will seem, it was much further down the road, and it was a large,
(25 feet long, 14 high) egg-shaped glowing orange/red object hovering
above the road: A UFO. The whole thing glowed intensely, it looked solid
(I thought at first it might be a giant plasma blob) but had no seams,
rivets or any discernible surface structure. Frankly, the whole thing
looked "alive", and I do know how crazy that sounds.
  It hung there for over two minutes (I timed it), glowing wildly. It
could have been easily shot with ISO 400 with no flash. It was casting
light onto the trees on either side of the road. I HAD NO CAMERAS, they
were back at the house, with the rest of the fishing party...suddenly
it began to pulsate and it shot upwards at a slight angle and so rapidly
that it blended into the star field in less than 4 seconds. Yes, I blew
it...
                                 *= Doris Fang =*

OM Content ?

  Oh, I've been looking for an OM-1 with a dead meter that I can buy cheap
and not be afraid to trash...take a 50/1.8 with it...fuji 800...