Re: [OM] Replacing bottom plate (was "Please recommend repair ..."

Subject: Re: [OM] Replacing bottom plate (was "Please recommend repair ..."
From: Paul Van Tuyl <olympusguy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 22:00:39 -0500
John Hermanson wrote:

> The hard part is simply finding a  new/good condtion bottom cover.  There are
> no legalities (afaik) in changeing covers, it's done all the time.
> New 2 bottoms are discontinued.  OM-1 bottoms are different  in the battery
> cap
> fit area.
>
> John
>
> Dan Lau wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:23, Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >I bought an OM1n about 4 years ago that seemed to be in pretty good shape,
> > >but it had an SSA number engraved on the bottom which lowered the price. I
> > >took it to Oly USA in Fountain Valley and they did a CLA and replaced the
> > >bottom plate for about $80.
> >
> > I am curious about replacing the bottom plate of an OM camera.  I brought
> > an OM2 which had a severely worn and scratched bottom plate to a camera
> > repair shop and asked them if they can replace it, and the answer was
> > "No".  They explained that because the serial number is on the bottom
> > plate, they cannot replace it because that will change the serial number
> > of the camera (maybe they are concerned about stolen cameras?).
> >
> > So did anyone else have any experience in replacing (or trying to replace)
> > the bottom plate of an OM camera?
> >         -Dan

John, I retired from a property & casualty insurer and I can tell you
that changing serial numbers on a camera is real touchy with insurance
folks! Problem arises when the camera mysteriously disappears and the
claim that is turned in has a serial number that does not match the
original! Insurance companies are so burned by fraudulent claims in
stolen cameras that they suspect any little thing out of the ordinary.

As I recall, thew battery and motor drive covers on the 2s, 3, 4, 4T,
4Ti and 3Ti are the same. The bottom covers themselves do have
differences between the 2S and the others. Is that right? Paul.