[OM] photography in Museums

Subject: [OM] photography in Museums
From: Robert Ashdown <RobertA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 14:39:21 +1000
Kerry asked:

 Does your Museum allow photography of exhibits?

Yes, we have no general policy on controlling photographers (apart from
me not allowing any non-OM equipment into the building!). With some
temporary exhibitions that travel to us from elsewhere there are
restrictions. They may be due to concerns about flash light effects (I
can't imagine there'd be any really, but I'd have to check with one of
our conservators) or about copyright.

I enjoy checking out what cameras people use - they're usually P&S jobs,
although a couple of months back I seized an elderly Japanese gentleman
who was using an OM4Ti (he thought I was going to mug him, but I was
just excited to see an OM). Despite the fact that he could barely speak
English and I know no Japanese, we had a great 'chat' - he turned out to
be an entomology curator from a Japanese Museum, and does lots of macro
stuff (hence his 50mm 3.5  macro as a 'standard' lens). Ah "OM" - the
univeral language!! (spoken like a true fanatic).

This State's environment department, I believe, has recently introduced
a policy whereby anyone making any money out of a photo taken in a
National Park must first get clearance from the Dept, or pay that
Department. Definately worrying. We already have user-pays entry to
National Parks here.

Ashdown