[OM] Selling photos - getting a start

Subject: [OM] Selling photos - getting a start
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:41:44 -0400
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shawn Wright  wrote:

>Now before the pros on the list roast me over the BBQ, I don't mean to
belittle
>the work involved in becoming a full time professional, or a struggling
artist. It's
>just that I think some of my shots, not a lot maybe, but some, could sell,
if I
>knew how to do it. If I could generate just a bit of income to allow me to
explore
a bit, I'd be happy.

HI, Shawn,

        First off, lot's of "PROS" who went to school for their professions
don't
make money at it.  Lots of "AMATEURS" who are self taught and  work hard,
do.  I learned by doing, and though I'll never make a fortune, I'm making
money.  I wouldn't know what to do with a fortune, anyway.. there's only so
many Olympus cameras and lenses I can use at the same time!!

        As for advice, Well, I started photography not because of any love of
it,
but because it complimented my husband's work (Biologist) and he HATED IT!!
 So.. it gave me an excuse to follow him around the world (better ME than
some other chippie!!) and I've grown to love it.  I didn't seriously
consider making money at it until we retired back to the US.  It was too
time consuming to worry about Stock agencies and jobs overseas.  Then, I
took "stock" of what I had, and how I could use it.  For me, the answer has
been to exploit my advantages.. that is:  my husband's knowledge of nature,
so I could deliver accurately identified photos that can be used for
identification of species of plants and animals.  I already had a large
collection of Orchid slides and have since added Aquatic plants and native
FLorida species of plants and trees.  This is my "niche" and it has proven
- if not lucrative - at least it pays for the film and travel.  It is a
growing business, and I guess it's up to me how much I want to get out of
it by how much I put into it!

Rather than submit photos to Stock agencies (which certainly have their
place) which I won't have access to for a long time (they sometimes require
6 months notice just to get a slide back to you) - I decided to go it
alone.  I have a website, and word of mouth gets me a lot of business.  I
hope to start advertising this year, but I'm not in any rush.  If you
subscribe to the Stock Photo List-serv   LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  you
sometimes hear about shots publishers are looking for - or there are
"expensive" newsletters which will list assignment photography that
magazines and publishers of books or advertising are looking for.

It depends on what you have, what you want to do, and if this will be full
or part time.  Look at your work critically.  If you like a particular type
of photography (weddings, nature, etc. etc.) and think your work is better
than what's out there it may well be.  Find a representative agency that
handles that type of work and submit a portfolio to them.  See what
happens.  There are books on Selling Stock Photos, finding Stock agencies,
even working free-lance.  Course, you could just put up a website and wait
for folks to come to you, too..  We certainly need more OLYMPUS
photographers represented in the market place.. Just don't forget your
humble Olympus roots!

Kerry

        Kerry Dressler                        Email:  bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Bio-Photo Services, Inc.                http://www.bio-photo.com
        21305 NW 86th Ave                       TEL:   (352)466-4215
        Micanopy, FL 32667             FAX:  (352)466-3151