[OM] Re: Wedding Photos (was Freezer Film!)

Subject: [OM] Re: Wedding Photos (was Freezer Film!)
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:44:47 -0800
On 10 Jul 98 at 7:36, gma wrote:

> Denton Taylor wrote:
>
> > I would think a pro wedding photog who will have a full medium format
> > system, with backup, and lighting, will be carrying $5000 worth of
> > equipment.
> >
> > Denton Taylor
>
> I was at a wedding last weekend.  I was told the photographer had a
> reputation as
> one of the best. His equipment was: a Nikon F, an on-camera flash, and 2 or
> more
> lenses (I saw him change lenses once, he mainly did the human-zoom dance.)  I
> was
> quite surprised. I'll be curious to see the photos.
>
> george

I know that wedding photography can be cut-throat at the lower end, which is
where *most* of us usually are looking... Sure, there are some who budget
$1000+ for photos, but most people I know are in the $300 -500 range, and still
feel they're paying too much. Often in this range one see 35mm gear used as
George described. I our case, 8 years ago we spent $350 for a package deal,
which was a special deal from the photographer for weddings referred by the
Winery (actually a wine importer)  we got married at. I recall at the time
thinking that we paid a lot. But this is what we got:

An album of about 60+ proofs.
A wedding album of selected (15-20) 5x7s from the proofs
About 3-4 8x10s for ourselves and parents, and some smaller prints of the same
shot for other family.
The equipment used was a Hasselblad, formals shot outdoors about a half hour
from the church. Reception shots taken another half hour drive from there, with
the Hassy and flash bracket. Total time on site from the photographer from
church to finish: about 3-4 hours, including 45 minutes of walking around QE
park in Vancouver for various formal shots

In retrospect, I think we got a pretty good deal, and I would think this
photographer must not  make a lot of money on each wedding, but relies on
volume to make ends meet.

ps: The shots are fairly decent, given difficult lighting conditions.