[OM] Email Language

Subject: [OM] Email Language
From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 14:12:30 +0100
I wonder what others think of the language and tone which we use on the List?
For instance, with the speed of some people's writing, spelling mistakes or
slight errors of grammar (for native English-speakers of course) are hardly
noticed because the message is the important thing.  But do we really need to
preamble an opinion with "Pardon me for jumping in..." ?

For the those clever people who are using English as a 2nd language, do they
feel that we are not making enough allowance for the slight nuances which we
(or they) are missing in their messages?

Finally, what about the use of shortcuts like "u" and not bothering with the
"Shift" key as in: "what i think of u is not worth mentioning...!"?  I have
noticed (on a sample of 2 ;-)) that the rudest messages on the list have been
written in this "shorthand".  Is this because the person is naturally rude, or
because he or she is so cross that there is no time to find the Shift key?

For my part, the most enjoyable messages (only just after the "FS..." ones!!)
are the holiday jaunts - especially because I'm not likely to get to those
places in the US or Canada for some years.  Keep up the good work fellow Zuiko
ramblers.

OM content: I'm off the the Isle of Elba in 10 days' time with my OM1 & 4.  I
cannot fit everything into my 2 camera bags, so will have the exruciating
pleasure of deciding what to leave and then changing my mind several times -
including when I'm 200 miles down the autobahn and it's too late!!

Sorry for the rambling message (well only slightly because I'm going to send
it anyway and if it's too long or it offends you, delete it)

Chris