Re: [OM] Those summer interns...

Subject: Re: [OM] Those summer interns...
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 12:41:30 -0400
Denton Taylor responded to Giles' comment:
>>Denton, I would have thought the appropriate punishment was obvious -
make her USE the Panasonic - then after a while casualy remark that
she could have been using an Olympus. ;-)>>
>You ascribe a little too much common sense...
>She finally said to me... 'What's Olympus'?

I'm not surprised!  Panasonic is a much better-known brand name for the
consumer electronic equipment even if she has heard of "Olympus" before.
Olympus has been making microcassette recorders for some time, however, but
these are in a rather specialized recorder market.    When I first saw
Dayton's post, I checked my Staples' catalog (minicatalog, summer 98).
There are two pages of transcribers and microcassette recorders listed.
There are 8 analog microcassette recorders listed; four Olympuses and four
Sony's.  There are two digital recorders listed, one is a Sony and the other
is an Olympus, but the Olympus digital recorder is at $249 for up to 34
minutes of recording while the Sony is at $99.99 for 8 minutes recording
time.

The transcriber listing includes two Panasonic's, one Sony, and one Olympus.
Pricewise, I could not identify the Olympus model which Denton wanted since
the one listed is $199.99 while the two Panasonic's are at $249.99.
However, the Sony transcriber is at $269.99.  Olympus, however, has two
advanced models other than the one listed in my Staples catalog.
Consulting the Olympus product brochure from Olympus America, I recognize
them as much sleeker and in a modern design.  I don't understand why
Denton's summer intern would not like such a machine.

The salesman at my local camera store said to me yesterday, "People would go
for the brand name if they don't understand the features of a product."
Wouldn't that apply to multiple buyers of Nikons and Canons except those who
also own an Olympus?

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx