[OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole
From: Brice1021@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 00:17:37 EDT
John P. wrote:

<< In my earliest days with Olympus gear, I went to the US Grand Prix Formula
 One race in Watkins Glen, NY (back when the US still had a GP).  In all the
 key corner locations, Canon had scaffolds erected.  These were *choice*
 locations - even the TV guys would do battle for these spots.  On those
 scaffolds Canon reps had an assortment of super telephotos mounted on
 tripods.  The price of admission to these gem locations?  Show your Canon!
 The big guy at the base of the steps would grant passage and one could
 ascend to the privileged heights.  Once there, you could put your body on
 any available lens and shoot as long as you pleased.  Cost?  Zero.  It was
 all promotion.  Oly never even thought of this.....<<
<snip>

Yes, it seems that Olympus has dropped the ball for promoting their
professional cameras.  I recall that around 1990 Olympus had some programs
exclusive to professionals. Their ads touted how Oly came to the rescue when
professionals had their equipment stolen or needed a special lens in a hurry.
Olympus was there to loan it to them in just a few days.  AFAIK, this program
is extinct.

>> Ever have a piece of equipment fail?  I've had my OM-2n, winder 2 and XA
 serviced by Olympus America in New York before they quit providing service
 for my antiques.  In each case the service was excellent, but time
 consuming.  I was without my equipment for at least 2 weeks, usually three.
 This week I sent a lens for my Mamiya M645 to Mamiya America.  Turn around
 time?  Five days - guaranteed.  Faster if I paid extra.  Oly could never
 match that.<<
<snip>

I haven't had the same experience with my local Olympus service center
(Rolling Medows, IL).  The service there has always been top notch.  Never
longer than 4 - 5 days.  Heck, sometimes they would do a minor CLA for free.
And it was never a problem to drop in on a Friday afternoon and have the
shutter speeds adjusted on the OM-4 before a weekend of shooting.

>>For the dedicated amateur or pro shooter, the camera's features are but a
 small (important, but small) part of the vendor selection criteria.  System
 components, service, backward compatibility are all major considerations.
 Even "perceived image" has its place.   To be successful in this business,
 the vendor has to have all the elements, or buyers will move down the
 counter to the vendor who *does* have them all.  Notice price is not on the
 list.  I bought my OM-4T and 35-80 lens together.  I bought them for
 performance, capability and compatibility.  Back then Oly was still
 servicing all my equipment.  Thank goodness for Camtech and Photosphere or
 I'd be really worried.<<
<snip>

Amen.

>>If Olympus wants to be on the same level as Canon or Nikon in the 35mm
 ranks, then they need to step up their sponsorship of events like PGA events
 and staff them heavily.  Offer free use of the best high-end gear.  If not
 for the day to the working press, for a few hours to anyone with an OM body.
 Advertise in all the photo mags - with multiple full-page ads.  Give camera
 stores large quantities of bags and other take-aways with Olympus plastered
 all over them.  Give those same stores advertising incentives for their
 Sunday newspaper ads and sales incentives to "suggest" Olympus products
 first.  There are many ways to succeed in the photo business, but sitting on
 the laurels of past success is a sure way to fail.

 Whew!  Glad I got that off my chest.
 John P<<

I couldn't agree with you more.  But sadly, it looks like Olympus has
completly dropped out of advertising the OM system.  The last time I saw
magazine ads with OM's in them was 1996.

Bill Rice
RLB, Illinois