[OM] re: Pan-X / Tech Pan

Subject: [OM] re: Pan-X / Tech Pan
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 11:40:25 -0700
John P. said:

Kerry,
Sadly, Panatomic-X is no longer available.  It's replacement however is up
to the task and is outstanding in its own right.  Technical Pan film (TP) is
very low speed, depending on the exposure conditions and developer used, but
ISO 25 is a fair nominal starting point.  It is nearly grainless, has a very
full tonal range with excellent gradation.  Enlargement to 16x20 and beyond
is common.  Interestingly, almost paradoxically, astro shooters love this
stuff for its remarkable resolution.  The paradox is its low speed.  To
reduce the low-speed problem they perform a process called hypering, where
the film is subjected to high temperature (about 50 degrees C) and high
vaccuum in a gas mix atmosphere of nitrogen and hydrogen.  This process
effectively boosts the film's speed to around ISO 250 and dramatically
reduces reciprocity law failure.  Curious stuff, this Tech Pan.    So for
those whose stockpile of Pan-X is nearly depleted, the Great Yellow Father
has provided an even better successor.  It is available in 36 exposure
rolls, 100 foot rolls, 120 rolls and 4x5 and 8x10 sheet sizes.  Oh yeah, its
expensive too - nearly double Tri-X according to my most recent price list.
John P