Re: [OM] re: Pan-X / Tech Pan

Subject: Re: [OM] re: Pan-X / Tech Pan
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 13:17:17 -0700
Shawn;

Here's my 2cents.  Tech Pan is unlike any other B&W film that I know of . It is
without doubt the sharpest film of any kind, well let me rephrase that to say "I
believe it is the sharpest film available today in terms of resolution."  It is
extremely versatile in that it can be developed over a huge range of contrast
indices, and exposed over a wide range of ASAs from 25 to 400 I think is useful.
It is also very often 'hypered' (sped up by use of soaking in cold nitrogen gas)
for use by astrophotographers, because of it's sharpness and it's spectral
response. It is often used for 'scientific purposes'

Having said all that, I don't think it would make a very appropriate portrait
film: too sharp, too contrasty. But for landscapes, it can be quite good.  You
must be very careful with exposure and development to control contrast AND you
must focus very accurately because any focus errors will be exagerated by it's
sharpness/contrat properties.

It's major advantage for me is that it can produce gobs of contrast when very
little exists in the scene. I always have some Tech Pan when I travel in the
SouthWest.  I'll use TMax or Tri-X for 'normal' scenes, but when the contrast is
low (and I mean REALLY low, like less than 1 ev difference) I'll shoot Tech Pan
at 100 and get lots of contrast in the negative.

george