[OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: [OM] Re: Why Oly is in a hole
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:01:18 -0400
Shawn, John A. and other pessimists!

Please look at the Feb.,98 OM price list in
Japanese, 800f which is in my FTP directory at
ftp://ftp.charm.net/pub/usr/home3/tomokoy/ .

Shawn Wright wrote:

>John Austin said:
>>This marketing direction does seem sad, but
true. As much as most of the
>>list members, myself definitely included, would
like to see the continuance
>>and expansion of the OM system, things do not
look good. Oly continues to
>>drop equipment from the available category, the
T20, the T32, a couple of
>>different lenses this past year, a number of the
accessories. Things are
==================
>This makes me wonder if in fact *any* OM products
are still being made at all
>by Olympus, or are they just using up their
remaining stock? How can one tell
>if the OM-4Ti, or even the 35-80/2.8 zoom are
still in production, as opposed to
>just waiting for the last units to sell before
they too are cancelled?

Why do you become so skeptical and pessimistic?

The T20 is still in production and so are many
lenses and other accessories.  I have seen this
year's dealer's catalog from Olympus America in my
local camera store.  I have seen pages and pages
of OM system items with list and dealer's prices.

When I bought my 85mm/2 new in Japan in March, I
noted that the Yodobashi main store had two boxes
of the 85mm/2 on the shelf along with several
popular Zuiko lenses.  The domestic warranty card
in the box had been already dated as March, 98, as
if to indicate that they sell enough monthly so
they must have predated the card before the sale
has actually taken place.  I did not know then
that they had finished the production of the
85mm/2.  The salesman had a 90mm/2 macro demo,
which I tried to see what it looked like on my
OM2000.  He had a pot of silk flowers handy for me
to focus on.  They would not let me try a 85mm/2
from its unopened box.  Of course, they had T-32s
in stock and I bought a wide adapter for my T-32
there as well.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx