Re: [OM] re: FAQ

Subject: Re: [OM] re: FAQ
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:18:06 -0400
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 23:49:14 -0800 you write:
>R. Lee Hawkins wrote:
>
>>>Chris is right: this would be my number one suggestion as well,
>>>closely followed by WordPerfect and FrameMaker
>>
>>Have you ever looked at the prices for these for Unix?  You seriously
>>think I could convince my university to get WP or FrameMaker [...]
>
>Yes, and maybe/maybe not. You can safely assume that I knew what I was
>talking about.  I believe I have been on this list long enough, and
>have posted enough material here to earn the right to be taken
>seriously without having to attach my resume to every post.

Whoa, let's go to our neutral corners for a second.

>[snip]
>>>I avoid at all costs the business of convincing the inconvincible.
>>
>>I'm not inconvincible.  It's just that no one has yet convinced me [...]
>
>Lee, sometimes you really make it too easy. Sure, the above is a cheap
>"edit", but no human could possibly resist it. :-)

Inconvincible means I'd never be able to be convinced.  That's not the
same as saying no one has yet convinced me.

>I would really like to put an end to this topic before too much piss
>and vinegar melts down the zuiko.sls.bc.ca server. Here is a brief
>account of what happened:
>
>After Lee's latest FAQ update, I read it through and made some
>IMHO rather innocuous comments and suggestions.  I even offered to
>provide as necessary some constructive input. God knows, I didn't do
>it for my own benefit, as I'm an infrequent visitor to the FAQ site.
>
>Regrettably, I must have stepped on some rather sensitive toes, and my

Seems like I have done the same thing. ;)

>comments were interpreted as criticism.  For this I apologise: I really
>meant no harm.  Anyway, I decided to butt out -- I never beg anyone to
>accept my free help.

Well, instead of getting so easily offended, you could have done as
Chris did and provided me with tools to do the job.  *shrug*.  I have
limited time to work on the FAQ, and all help is appreciated, really.

>And so I was sitting firmly on my hands, briefly letting them back on
>the keyboard only when Chris "Mr. UNIX" Biggs wrapped some LaTeX around
>this discussion.  Frankly, it's none of my business how RLH chooses to
>generate and maintain the OLY FAQ.  From now on, I shall remain mum on
>this sublect.

Geez Gary, cool down.  My comments were never meant as a personal
attack, and you should know that.  I was just pointing out that we don't
do WordPerfect on Unix boxes here, and that I personally don't like
using LaTeX (although I know how, and maintain the installation for the
department).  Chris Biggs has provided me with a perl script that might
just meet all my qualifications, and I'll be trying it out later today.
My guess is that it will pass muster and we'll have an HTML-ized FAQ
before the day is out.

Now, let's go back to being one big happy family, dammit! :)

Cheers,
--Lee