Re: [OM] Lassen Park report

Subject: Re: [OM] Lassen Park report
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:36:48 -0800
On 13 Jul 98 at 22:42, Gary Schloss wrote:

> Matthew J. Cordery wrote:
>
> >For those of you interested in nature photography, I can highly
> >recommend going to Lassen [National] Park in Northern California
> [snip]
>
> I must second Matthew's recommendation. Lassen National Park is a
> gem, and, being a bit off the beaten track, it is often overlooked
> by the hoards (herds?) of tourists visiting California each year.
> The same is true of the equally spectacular Redwood National Park
> (north of Eureka), as well as the majestic Mount Shasta.
>
> In fact, IMHO the above three attractions together with Southern
> Oregon's unforgettable Crater Lake form a perfect itinerary for
> a 7-10 day photo shoot + vacation, close to nature and far from
> the crowds.  Picturesque if somewhat frozen in time little towns,
> moderate prices, and the best Pinot Noirs in North America from
> the small So. Oregon wineries make it simply irresistible.

Maybe this one is already well known, but I'd like to add: Point Reyes National
Seashore on US 1 north of San Francisco. This area was by far the highlight of
our trip to Northern California 2 years ago, and we stumbled on it purely by
accident. The original "destination" was the Napa Valley, which was a bit of
let down, mainly because we arrived on a weekend. Point Reyes has a wonderful
range of climatic zones similar to Denman/Hornby Islands in BC, and also gives
one the sense of time travelling as you pass though 19th century farms, still
operating much as they were 100 years ago.