Re: [OM] Using normal auto flash with ISO 1000?

Subject: Re: [OM] Using normal auto flash with ISO 1000?
From: "Marco Tomat" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Jul 98 08:53:01 +0200
On Lun, 13 lug 1998 1:48, Shawn Wright <mailto:swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>I bought some film for the wedding I am asked to shoot next month - a few
>rolls
>each of the following:
>
>GPX (160)
>PMC (400)
>PMZ (1000)
>
>Given the late evening wedding, and likely dim lighting, I suspect it'll
be
>the 400
>and 1000 that I use. The only T series flash I have is a T20, (which is
>obviously
>inadequate), so I must rely on my QA 310 with Power Grip 1, which will
>function on normal Auto only. The aperture choices are the problem:
>with ISO 400, I get f/8, 11 and 16. Ok, not great but workable.
>But with ISO 1000, I get: f11, 16, and 22 (actually 1/3 more than that,
but
>close
>enough for print film).
>So is my only choice to go with f/11 the whole time? (I'll probably use
the
>50/1.8 and 85/2 mostly, with the 35/2.8 for casual shots after the
>service).
>I can see the advantages with DOF in casual shots, as it means focussing
>will
>be less of a concern.
>But since, according to the guide on the flash, both 400 and 1000 speeds
>still
>yield the same maximum distance of 8m (at f/8 and f/11 1/3,
>respectively), is
>there any advantage to using the 1000? (I'm thinking of those "down the
>aisle"
>and "at the alter" shots, where I may be more than 5m away, but
>enlargement
>quality may also be an issue on the final shots)
>Can anyone shed some light on using fast film with non-TTL flash?
>
>Thx.

Some flashes allow using the same f/ values with the different speeds, and
thus gaining distance. For instance my 45 CT-5 with a 800 ASA has 5.6, 8,
11, 16, 22 and 32 settings, from 4,1 to 22 meters.

My suggestions:

1. Use the T20 on the camera and the 310 held by an assistant and triggered
by a cell. Both on auto set at the same f/ value.

2. Use flashes with 160 and 400 films only. 1000 film is more useful for
available light shots, imho.

Marco