Re: [OM] Using normal auto flash with ISO 1000?

Subject: Re: [OM] Using normal auto flash with ISO 1000?
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:03:24 -0800
On 14 Jul 98 at 8:53, Marco Tomat wrote:

> Some flashes allow using the same f/ values with the different speeds, and
> thus gaining distance. For instance my 45 CT-5 with a 800 ASA has 5.6, 8,
> 11, 16, 22 and 32 settings, from 4,1 to 22 meters.

Alas, none of the Oly flashes do... And since I'm not getting paid for this
job, it makes it *really* hard to convince the wife that I *need* a Metz or
a T32/grip ... ;-)

> My suggestions:
>
> 1. Use the T20 on the camera and the 310 held by an assistant and triggered
> by a cell. Both on auto set at the same f/ value.
Hmm... I'd thought of this, but wasn't sure it would work. In this case I won't
have an assistant, no wait... my *wife* isn't doing anything, maybe she'll hold
the flash... hmmm...  (This is the first wedding in a long time where one of us
isn't in the wedding party).

> 2. Use flashes with 160 and 400 films only. 1000 film is more useful for
> available light shots, imho.
I may abandon the 160 except for one roll each of posed outdoor shots with the
Yashica LM and 4-T. Then I'll probably go with 1-2 rolls of 400 in the chapel,
and into the 1000 for later on, unless the 400 proves too slow. I may even load
up the OM-10 with 1000 so I can swap bodies if needed, otherwise, I'll use it
for some FP4+ pushed to 400.
(I just printed an 11x14 portrait last night shot on FP4+ at ISO 400 - very
nice grain, and not too contrasty).

ps: Anyone know which filter values Agfa Variable contrast B/W paper uses:
Ilford or Kodak? (I'm using a Saunders LPL 670 which has built in filters for
both). I couldn't tell for sure by comparing data on the web pages, so I tried
Ilford values. The contrast seemed to build up much faster than it should -
grade 3.5 looked closer to grade 4.5.