Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.

Subject: Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:57:34 -0500
>> Anyone know of some good books or tapes on Composition?

I find that going to art museums and exhibits now and then is a good thing.
Taking a class or two in painting is good.  I learned about "whitespace"
(caucasian space?  nah...) and page layout skills in a graphic arts class.

Generally, I learn very little about composition from other's photographs.
John Shaw is excellent at composition--as far as placing subjects, etc. but
he is a bit dry when it comes to perspective.  Studying the old classics and
keeping a poster reprint of one in your office space is good (I have Auguste
Renoir's "Two Sisters" hanging on my office wall).  Studying Ansel Adams'
work is good, but the composition is really subject driven and not good for
gleening general rules from.

The "rule of thirds" is a good starting point, but it can get pretty
limiting sometimes.  Occasionally I will place a subject in the MIDDLE OF
THE PICTURE!!!  "Oh no" you say.  "Heresy!"  Sure, but if the subject
demands "tension" I'll do it.  Another compositional technique is to expand
the picture beyond the frame.  This is one of those tricks that is difficult
to learn, but becomes another handy "tool" in the bag, if you need it.

Ken N.