Re: [OM] zoom for OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] zoom for OM-1
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:24:11 -0500
On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 16:07:01 -0400 "Markowitz, Arnie  (Miami)"
<AMarkowitz@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>I have an OM-1, bought in early 1980s, and am considering buying a
>Tamron 60-300mm zoom for it. The Tamron is a shutter priority lens: I
>set the shutter and the camera automatically sets the aperture. Ah,
>but
>mine is NOT an automatic camera. Is there some sort of over-ride, by
>which I continue setting shutter speed and aperture as I do with my
>Zuiko 50mm lens? Or does shutter priority on the zoom mean it won't
>work
>with the OM-1? Another question: Would a shorter Olympus or other
>zoom,
>combined with a tele converter, produce equal or better results?  I
>need
>a 300mm focal length for wildlife pix in Yukon/BC/Alaska. Weight and
>bulk are important considerations.

Hi:  I'm not sure if we're talking about the same lens here, since I
don't know how a lens would beonly a "shutter priority" lens.  I have a
Tamron 60-300 that is a nice lens, good results in terms of sharpness,
but short on contrast compared to the zuiko primes.(not bad, but
different from)  Since you're going to be shooting only on manual, set
the shutter speed on the camera and the aperture on the lens, zoom &
focus and and take your shot.  Nothing more to it.  It is convenient, but
it is not lightweight or small.  I call mine my Zoo lens.  Great for
shooting most zoo exhibits, go long and wide open to lose the fences and
bars and blur the background, and its got a macro mode (close focus)
thats usable up close.  Drawbacks are weight and lack of tripod mount.
Good points are the convenience of one lens for most focal lengths and
the quality of build.  Hope this helps.--good luck.

Daryl Hurley