Re: [OM] zoom for OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] zoom for OM-1
From: P2CON@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 18:04:39 EDT
Arnie --

<< I have an OM-1, bought in early 1980s, and am considering buying a
 Tamron 60-300mm zoom for it. The Tamron is a shutter priority lens: I
 set the shutter and the camera automatically sets the aperture. Ah, but
 mine is NOT an automatic camera. Is there some sort of over-ride, by
 which I continue setting shutter speed and aperture as I do with my
 Zuiko 50mm lens?  --- snip-->>

The Tamron 60-300mm you asked about is one of their manual focus SP lenses
which are supposed to be "Top of the line" lenses.  The SP does not stand for
shutter priority, if that is what you were told by the owner. It probably
stands for "Super Performance" or something like that. It is a lens that works
just as your 50mm does. You set the aperature on the lens and the shutter
speed on the body to center the needle, and shoot just the same as always.

I have one of these lenses and like it very much.  It is sharp enough for me,
and has a Macro range that is awesome for a zoom (1:1.55).  The only complaint
I have is that the Macro function is at the 60mm end.

Try it, you will probably like it and it should do well where you are going.

Paul