Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.

Subject: Re: [OM] Aesthetic sense.
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 21:28:37 -0700
<snip>
>       Many artists did not "bloom" until their later years. Some. like
> Lartigue, had their hottest periods at an early age. Van Gogh's last two
> years were almost white-hot in terms of creativity. A similar thing
> happened to Atget as an older man. I am sure there's some genetic
> components involved in all this, but am confident a lot of it
>  is learned, enough to make it worth anyone's while. It is about personal
> growth & evolution, and you can't go wrong by devoting yourself to
> any of the arts.
>
>                                 whew, what a longie...
>                                   Doris Fang

Doris, not to slight all the other great replies, but I think this one more
than
makes up for last week's rough ride!
I'm looking forward to more on this thread.

One personal observation: Recently I started filing my negs going back about 3
years. I then started adding to my original B/W neg collection from when I
first
started in 35mm with my Dad's OM-2 around 1981. It became quite evident that
I had become much more fluent in the language of photography, as witnessed
by a much higher percentage of technically correct shots.
But it also became evident that my vision, or ability to convey my feelings for
subject have not grown by nearly as much. One thing which constantly drives
me further are a few shots taken in my teens which I feel I have yet to improve
on, or in some cases, even equal. An interesting thing about these few photos:
in each case I have a perfect recollection of the scene - maybe this is a
result
of an emotional connection which resulted in the image?

A big part of this is simply time, or lack of it. 15 years ago, I could spend
4-5
hours shooting in the morning, then another 3-4 hours in the darkroom at night,
while the morning was still fresh in my mind. Now, I'm lucky if I can do this
much in sometimes in a month...