Re: [OM] Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Oly is in a hole
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:58:13 -0400
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>In a message dated 7/15/98 3:27:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time, denton@xxxxxxxx
>writes:
>
>>><< Only a dedicated Zuikoholic would consider the 3Ti to be 'new'! One might
>>> consider it an improvement over the OM3, but barely :-)
>
>>Yep Denton,
>>You only get the addition of TTL (For those who think you also get the 280 SP
>>mode.  Forget it.  It only works as a manual mode,GN #'s etc.)  But, I think
>>the 3Ti is sorta like my old 1975 Toyota Landcruser FJ40 (with only 63,000
>>miles).  It is hard to improve a nearly perfect machine.
>>BW
>Didn't you also get improved electronics and sealing for more reliability,
>as well as the titanium and a new improved focussing screen? That would be
>enough for most of the competition to call one of their's a new model.

If you compare the OM-3, the OM-3Ti, and the OM-4Ti in all of their features,
you can see the OM-3Ti as a new model.  As
Winsor said, the fine lumi-micron screens which were introduced (a brand-new
component for the 4Ti and other OMs) with
the the 3Ti are important additions to the OM system even though they are
small.  My 2-4 screen has made it much easier
to utilize my slower lenses.

I think  what Olympus did in the introduction of the OM-3Ti is that they made a
mechanical equivalent of the OM-4Ti.
The OM-3 does not have highlight and shadow modes, the OM-3Ti does.

As I understand it, Olympus added the OTF capability on the 3Ti despite the
fact that it is an all-manual camera.  The
OTF works in tandem with flash attached and controls the amount of light from
the flash so that the exposure you
manually set is achieved.  When one has the F280 flash in the Super FP mode, it
can synchronizes up to 1/2000 sec.  When
operating at faster shutter speed, it is designed as a fill flash so one does
not need a big power from the flash.

I don't own a 3Ti.  I have a 4Ti.  After I got my 3Ti and 4Ti brochures in
Japanese in Japan, I started using the F280
in the Super FP mode more.  I wish that Olympus has a better set of
instructions for using the F280 with the 3/4Ti. The
F280 manual is almost confusing.  As I understand it from studying the brochure
in Japanese,  I finally understood what
the proper viewfinder display should be and what kind of aperture I should be
using to get it right.

I expect and hope that I have plenty of opportunities to use my OM-4Ti and the
F280 in Scotland.  Since I have been
concentrating mostly available light photography, I have yet to master the
combination of the 4Ti and the F280.

BTW, I have successfully used my F280 with a wide adapter on my OM2000.  I was
able to use it as a fill flash, and not
darkening the background.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano