Re: [OM] Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Oly is in a hole
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:52:23 EDT
Tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx writes:
<< As I understand it, Olympus added the OTF capability on the 3Ti despite the
fact that it is an all-manual camera.  The OTF works in tandem with flash
attached and controls the amount of light from the flash so that the exposure
you manually set is achieved. >>

SNIP!
Hi Tomoko,  The 3Ti does this only with the flash T32 or 280 set in TTL mode.

When one has the F280 flash in the Super FP mode, it can synchronizes up to
1/2000 sec.  When operating at faster shutter speed, it is designed as a fill
flash so one does not need a big power from the flash. >>

SNIP!
Tomoko, the Olympus brochure is VERY misleading in describing the function of
the 3Ti with the FP 280 flash.  The 3Ti DOES NOT function automatically as
does the 4T & 4Ti with this flash in FP mode.
Per the 3Ti Instruction manual  Pages 39 - 43.
1)  Taking OTF Auto Flash (Using T-series flash)
        a.  Set the flash mode to TTL Auto Flash to take OTF auto flash
photographs.
        b.  Select a shutter speed  B. 1~ 1/60 sec.
2)  Taking Daylight Synchro-Flash (Super FP Flash Mode) (using F280 flash)
        a.  "Set the flash mode selector to TTL Auto Flash or X.
                (either mode can be set in the Super FP flash mode)"
        b.  NOW HERE IS THE KICKER!  page 43.
                "Select a shutter speed between 1/2000 and 1/60 sec. and
Aperture according
to the chart on the left."
                This chart's title is "F280 FP Flash Guide Numbers"
                This chart is 2 inches by 2 inches square and is next to
impossible to read!
        c.  A small box with this disclaimer is also added.
                "Data shown on this chart is based on situations where there is
NO natural
lighting: the actual setting may differ depending on shooting conditions."
Therefore, I would say this chart and the F280 in Super FP mode for daylight
fill flash is WORTHLESS.

I also "thought" as you did on the capabilities of the 3Ti with the FP280.
Olympus is very misleading in their brochures. I must say I was a little more
than upset when I took my first (daylight fill) shots using my 3Ti & "Super"
FP flash.  The lesson here is,  If you want to use the Super F280 for daylight
fill - buy a 4T or 4Ti.  The 3Ti does however give the addition of TTL
capabilities with the T series or the 280 set in normal / TTL mode
BW

;