Re: [OM] OM= 3Ti & 280 flash

Subject: Re: [OM] OM= 3Ti & 280 flash
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 01:16:44 EDT
In a message dated 7/16/98 2:10:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<< I was under the impression that daylight fill with the OM-3Ti-F280
 combo in FP mode was very simple. For -2 stops fill in sunny f/16, set
 the camera for ambient light, then take the picture at a distance of
 1.4m. I don't have a F280 so I can't try it.
 Paul Farrar >>

Hi Paul,
Wish it was that simple. What happens at 3,4,5,6 meters?  Where did you hear
or read of this.  All I have for reference is my 3Ti instruction manual and a
280 instruction manual dated (0491) so it does not list the fairly new 3Ti.
Per the chart, (wait let me get my 3" magnifying glass, I think it is around
here somewhere) Auh yes. With ISO 100 @ 1.5m = f1.4 @ 1/2000sec+; 1/1000sec @
f2.8; 1/250 sec @ -f5.6.  But the chart says it does not include natural
lighting so the actual settings may differ.  Hum, I wonder by how much?  I
have used the 280 FP mode on my 4T in auto for fill and it works pretty good.
So, I have resided myself to just use TTL mode on the 3Ti.  Maybe I should
make a copy of this little chart and glue it to the back of my 280.
I all fairness, I think the 280 FP mode is a great feature and has some
possibilities worth exploring if I truly understood this feature and all the
benefits it has to offer in both auto and manual modes.  But, I do not, and
Olympus has done a terrible job with their instruction manual to educate us.
I have been playing with the 280 in FP mode for close-up photos.  I think
there is some real possibilities using high speed sync for fill in flash that
will not "black" out the background.  But I have a long way to go to
understand this.  I understand Nikons flash instruction manual is 99 pages
long.  Maybe Olympus thinks we are all P&S shooters?
If anyone can give me some pointers on this subject, please do so.
BW