Re:[OM] Why Oly is in a hole

Subject: Re:[OM] Why Oly is in a hole
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 11:16:02 -0400
BW wrote:
>Per the 3Ti Instruction manual  Pages 39 - 43.
>1)  Taking OTF Auto Flash (Using T-series flash)
>a.  Set the flash mode to TTL Auto Flash to take OTF auto flash photographs.
>b.  Select a shutter speed  B. 1~ 1/60 sec.
>2)  Taking Daylight Synch-Flash (Super FP Flash Mode) (using F280 flash)
>a.  "Set the flash mode selector to TTL Auto Flash or X.
>(either mode can be set in the Super FP flash mode)"
>b.  NOW HERE IS THE KICKER!  page 43.
>"Select a shutter speed between 1/2000 and 1/60 sec. and Aperture according
>to the chart on the left."
>This chart's title is "F280 FP Flash Guide Numbers"
>This chart is 2 inches by 2 inches square and is next to impossible to read!
>c.  A small box with this disclaimer is also added.
>"Data shown on this chart is based on situations where there is NO natural
>lighting: the actual setting may differ depending on shooting conditions."
>Therefore, I would say this chart and the F280 in Super FP mode for daylight
>fill flash is WORTHLESS.
First of all, I think I have a chart you are referring to in my F280 manual
(see p. 23).
I also have this on my Web site.  If you have difficulty reading the chart, Oly
gives you a table on p.44  and p.52.
The letter sizes there are normal, and I can read them without any trouble.  I
have to say that the chart (2" x 2" ) is
legible to me.

If you read the legend on p. 23 beside the chart, Oly explains that it is
impossible to give you all the ranges of
daylight you encounter.  But you have an on-the-camera meters and a hand meter
if you own one.  One needs to use both
those exposure meters  to know how much ambient light you already have and the
working distance guide.  You just have to
experiment more and make a lot of mistakes in order to learn something new.  It
also helps to get a wide adapter for the
F280.  I found that the F280 was putting out too much light for my use.  The
wide adapter can be used as a diffuser, and
it won't blacken the background.

On the X-synch mode of the OM-3Ti, the important thing is that the total
shutter speed range is available for you to use
the F280 flash in Super FP without the interference of the OTF metering on the
camera.  Since it is mechanical, as long
as you can use the flash, you do not need to rely on the camera batteries.  In
the TTL mode, the camera shuts off the
flash when sufficient light is reached.  It is a nice control, but it does not
give the photographer the freedom to
selectively bring out the area of interest in the shadow.  I have to admit I
have not explored the F280 use in the Super
FP mode on my OM-4T enough to tell you various possibilities.  I am still
experimenting.

The F280 is the electronic equivalent of a special long-duration flashbulb
which is called FP (focal-plane shutter).
The F280 simulates continuous light.  It is a portable light source always
available for you to use as opposed to flash
guns.   I am just about to appreciate the importance of manual control and
flash in daylight fill myself.

Shipman has an entire chapter devoted to flash use with the OMs, and I think
you might discover new areas to explore and
play with your OM-3Ti if you study the chapter in order to take advantage of
the manual exposure control when using the
X-sync of the F280 in the Super FP mode.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
Home Page: http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/