[OM] Market share for OM

Subject: [OM] Market share for OM
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 23:59:04 EDT
>From the news wires:

<<Nikkei English News via NewsEdge Corporation : (Nikkei Industrial Daily,
July
16, 1998)

Domestic shipments of single-lens reflex cameras in 1997 totaled 804,600
units, up 4.7 0.000000rom 1996 and above the 800,000 level for the first time in
seven years, according to a Nikkei survey.

Canon Inc. remained the market leader with a share of 37.0%, up 0.5 of a
percentage point, with its EOS Kiss model gaining great popularity among
female users. Second-ranked Minolta Co. raised its share 4.7 points to 23.6%,
also expanding sales to female customers.

Nikon Corp. remained third with 19.9%, up 1.0, followed by Asahi Optical Co.
with 13.0%, up 3.8.

<<Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Inc. -- 07-16-98>>

[Copyright 1998, Nikkei America] >>

Who could be losing market share? This ads up to 92.3%.  If Pentax could
increase its share from 9.2 to 13 0n one year, surely Olympus could do the
same. I think we will need three cameras to do this:
1. OM5 as has been previously discussed.
2. OM78-a next generation autofocus consumer grade camera.
3. OM6: a top of the line autofocus camera.
Each one of these needs the other.  The autofocus consumer camera is the
bottom of the pyramid that finances the whole structure and feeds the whole
system with new users.   The top of the line autofocus is needed because we
have to compete with P*nt*x, C*n*n, M*n*lt* and N*k*n and is necessary to show
that we're at the cutting edge.  The OM5 is for purists and will increase the
cachet for the whole group.  If we aim for 100f the market, can Oly make a
go of it with 80,000 bodies?

Is this all possible?

Hopefully yours,
Warren Kato