[OM] miscellaneous responses...

Subject: [OM] miscellaneous responses...
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 09:35:22 -0400

First thanks for your help with the bodies and macro questions then...

Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

   >Gee!! Sounds like you are new into Olympus cameras and equipment, but
   the
   amount of lenses...! Looks like you have been collecting for years!

   22 years of OM, but after the OM-1 meter died I got an OM-1n and it's
   still in perfect shape, so there was no need to look at other bodies,
   the 1 was always there as a backup.  I come from a tradition of "It's
   the art, not the tool", our favorite competition in college was find the
   cheapest camera (not an OM you understand) and make the best art.  My
   friend Sam did amazing shots incorporating the light leaks in his $2
   plastic camera into the composition, my Lubitel never did anything as
   wonderful in my hands.  But now that I can blame it on a mid-life crisis
   I find myself considering getting a new OM body.  Whereas with the
   lenses... you'll note that none are the terribly expensive ones (ok the
   shift was dear) some came in trade for work done and while I used to be
   able to borrow things like the 21mm that only drove me to desire my own.

   >Sure you need all this stuff??  ;-)

   Actually I'm pretty sure I don't, but I've no desire at all to part with
   any of it.  I'm a Zuikoholic who is not interested in a 12-step program.

Gary Reese writes:

   >This may not be news to some, but there is another type of Zuiko out
   there.  Take a peek at:

   >http://www.tr-108.co.jp/zuiko/HTML/B_index.html

   >I suspect this is a new WWW site.  Hum, looks like John H. just beat
   them to the domain name!

   Forgive the mild pontificating but Zuiko here is not a "domain" in the
   internet sense "tr-108.co.jp" is the domain.  Thus "zuiko" isn't
   incurring an annual registration fee.  It's usual for large companies to
   register one domain and then start tacking on new keywords to the left,
   or in the case of the web as they did in your example.  I'd expect
   Olympus to eventually use something like www.zuiko.olympus.com where
   "olympus.com" is the domain that they have to keep the registration on.

Ulf Westerberg writes:

   >Not so funny: That gnarling, mechanical sound of the OM1-shutter in
   speeds of 1 sec to 1/8 puts my wife on the verge of a hysterical
   laughter, "that really is a dinosaur!". Hmmm.

   You've got me worried for you, both my 1n's make a quiet racing
   clockwork sound.  Maybe it's because your's speaks Swedish?